Kentucky Association of Chiefs of Police
Accreditation is a progressive and time-proven way of helping institutions evaluate and improve their overall performance. The cornerstone of this strategy lies in the promulgation of standards containing a clear statement of professional objectives. Participating administrators then conduct a thorough analysis to determine how existing operations can be adapted to meet these objectives. When the procedures are in place, a team of independent professionals is assigned to verify that all applicable standards have been successfully implemented. The process culminates with a decision by an authoritative body that the institution is worthy of accreditation.
The Kentucky Association of Chiefs of Police Law Enforcement Accreditation Program is one of the most valuable and cost effective ways currently available to departments that wish to enhance overall agency effectiveness and professionalism. Accredited departments benefit from the use of consistent and proven procedures, clearly outlined policies, and efficient practices. In addition, accreditation serves to create a feeling of confidence among your residents that their police/sheriff department recognizes the importance of establishing and maintaining as high a degree of effectiveness and professionalism as possible.
- Provides a means of independent evaluation of agency operations.
- Provides a basis to correct deficiencies in the agency’s operations before they become public problems.
- Requires that agencies commit policies and procedures to writing.
- Provides a norm for an agency to judge its performance.
- Has the potential to reduce liability insurance costs.
- Promotes accountability among agency personnel and the evenhanded application of policies.
- Enhances the reputation of the agency, thereby helping to attract the most qualified candidates for employment.
- Minimizes an agency’s exposure to liability, reducing vicarious liability suits.
- Builds a stronger defense against lawsuits and citizen complaints.
- Increases the community’s confidence in its police/sheriff department.
- Recognizes agencies for meeting standards of excellence
Current Sheriff’s Offices Accreditation Status
Approved for Fifth Four/Five Year Certification
Boone County Sheriff’s Office
Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office
Approved for Fourth Four/Five Year Certification
Kenton County Sheriff’s Office
Approved for Third Four/Five Year Certification
Oldham County Sheriff’s Office
Pendleton County Sheriff’s Office
Approved for Second Four/Five Year Certification
Shelby County Sheriff’s Office
Calloway County Sheriff’s Office
Rowan County Sheriff’s Office
Warren County Sheriff’s Office
Woodford County Sheriff’s Office
Davies County Sheriff’s Office
Scott County Sheriff’s Office
Jessamine County Sheriff’s Office
Approved for First Four/Five Year Certification
Madison County Sheriff’s Office
Pulaski County Sheriff’s Office
Clark County Sheriff’s Office
Hopkins County Sheriff’s Office
Campbell County Sheriff’s Office
Franklin County Sheriff’s Office
Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office
Bullitt County Sheriff’s Office